スタッフブログStaff Diary

スタッフブログ

Cold day

| カテゴリ: 写真, 雑談(独り言)

Feb. 11, 2018

午前7時50分頃の気温です。
寒くなってますので暖かい格好でお越しください。

連休最終日、皆様のご利用お待ちしております。

gh180212

Niseko Powder History【第10回】倶知安開拓の夜明け

| カテゴリ: Niseko Powder History

倶知安開拓の夜明け

 

明治の初頭、倶知安の地はうっそうたる大森林のままに虻田村の一部とされ、地名もありませんでした。羊蹄山に沿って尻別川左岸に、わずかにアイヌの刈り分け道があっただけだったといわれます。そのため、明治政府が重罪の政治犯などを収容するために集収監(監獄)の設置を計画したとき、石狩川中流の樺戸や十勝川沿岸と合わせて、このあたりが候補地となりました(集収監は1881年に樺戸、現在の月形町に開庁)。

大日本帝国憲法が発布された翌年、日本がいよいよ近代国家としての形を整えつつあった1890年(明治23)年には、この地は皇室の財産である御料林に組み入れられます。御料林となれば管轄は御料局となり開墾は禁じられるのですが、一方で北海道庁は、この一帯を入植に適している土地としてあげました。開拓と農業に関する月刊誌「北海之殖産」1890年8月号、殖民地選定報告の中に「クッチャン原野」の名が登場するのです。これが、倶知安の名前が公文書に登場する最初とされています。

この報告の中で「クッチャン原野」は、「東西北の三方は『ムイ子(ね)』『イナヲ』『イワヲ』の諸山脉に囲繞せられ、南方はマッカリベツ山(羊蹄山)に抱擁せられたる原野にして、其東微南は『ベヽナイ』に至りて、『メナ』原野に接す。之を『クッチャン』原野となす」とあります。メナは現在京極町に属します。イナヲとは今日国道5号が通り、共和町と倶知安町の境界の倶知安峠のこと、そして報告はクッチャン原野を、殖民(植民)と放牧の適地であるとしました。

さてクッチャンという地名は、どこから来ているのでしょう。

それはアイヌ語の「クッ・シャン・イ」に由来します。「くだの(ようなところ)を・流れ出る・ところ」という意味。これがクッシャニとなり、さらにクドサニと変わり、俱登山(くとさん)と漢字が当てられました。つまりクッチャンとは、尻別川の支流、俱登山川の旧名なのです。クッシャニがクッチャンとなりました。1893(明治26)年に「倶知安」の漢字をあてたのは、当時の北海道庁参事官白仁武(しらに たけし)です。

 

倶知安の開拓に最初に意欲を燃やしたのは、仁木村(現・後志管内)を拓いた阿波(徳島)の人たちです。中心にいたのは、仁木開拓のリーダー仁木竹吉です。竹吉は同郷の青年たちにクッチャン原野への入植をすすめ、やがて阿波(徳島)の人々を柱に共同出願組合が結成されました。中心は、廃藩置県(1871年)で氏族の身分を失った旧臣たち。これは、北海道の内陸開拓の多くに共通した背景です。

1890(明治23)年の秋、小沢村の南部茶屋でアイヌの案内を頼み、踏査隊がはじめて現地に入りました。この南部茶屋は青森からの移民が営んでいた旅館・飲食店で、クッチャン原野の入り口にあることから、のちに岩内から上陸した人々の開拓の基地の役割を果たすことになります。一行の先にはもちろん道もなく、もっぱら川筋がルートです。彼らはイワオヌプリに登って、予定地一帯を俯瞰することにも成功しました。

現地を見たあと、組合は道庁に土地の貸し下げを申請します。当時の規則(北海道土地払下規則)では官有未開地をひとり原則10万坪(約33ヘクタール)に限って払い下げ、10年以内に6万坪以上の開墾に成功すると、千坪1円で払い下げられることになっていました。一戸の目安として考えられた5町歩だと、約15円でその土地が自分のものになるのです。米価を基準に現在に換算すると、およそ7万円前後でしょうか(明治30年後半の東京の白米価格は10キロ90銭前後)。しかし組合員の中には、小作身分の家族も多かったのが実情です。彼らが開墾に成功しても、土地を手にするのは地主でした。

1892(明治25)年5月。最初の5人がクッチャン原野の開墾をスタートさせました。道路も未整備の時代。彼らは踏査隊がとったルートと同じく岩内から上陸し、南部茶屋を経て原野に入りました。ほどなくほかの人々もつづき、この年のうちに47戸がクッチャンの住民になるべく、チシマザサが林床を覆いつくし、昼なお暗い原始の森に立ち向かったのです。

そのころのクッチャンには、大人ふたりでも抱えきれないほど太いヤチダモやアカダモ、ハンノキなどの大木が茂り、開墾は、これらを切り倒し、背丈を超えるササを刈るところからはじまりました。ようやく地面が顔を出すと、ササ葺きの拝み小屋(拝み手のように屋根と壁を一体にした掘っ建て小屋)を建て、わずかの土地に、まずイモや豆、アワ、トウキビ、カボチャなどの種が蒔かれます。ほどなくソバや大根なども植えられていきました。

阿波の先人たちにつづき、やがて島根県からの結社移民である山陰移住会社をはじめ、本願寺農場、成瀬農場、山梨団体、出雲団体などの集団移住がつづき、倶知安は村としての形をなしていきます。出雲団体を率いた鈴木重慶はまもなくアメリカに留学し、帰国後は東北帝国大学農科大学(現・北海道大学)の助手などを経て再び倶知安の開拓事業に復帰します。このときアメリカ式の大型機械を本格的に導入したことで知られますが、北海道開拓に多くの事例があるように、舶来理論の単なる移植は成功につながりませんでした。

倶知安の行政の区分は、当初は虻田村にありました。1896(明治29)年になってようやく、倶知安村としての戸長役場が設置されました。

 

 

Kutchan’s Early Days

 

Up until the 1890s, the area we now call Kutchan was just land covered by forests and the name “kutchan” didn’t even exist. It is said that the only “road” that existed at that time was a footpath along the bank of Shiribetsu River which the local Ainu people used to carry out wood and plants from Mt.Yotei. It was such a large piece of land so away from anything, this land was once considered a location to build a prison facility!

In 1890, the entire island of Hokkaido was built into the Emperor’s asset. Usually anything that belongs to the Emperor is considered un-touchable in Japan. However the Hokkaido Bureau proposed that the island of Hokkaido is worth investing and developing. Agricultural paper issued in August 1890 wrote “Kutchan plains” and this is believed to be the first official mention of Kutchan.

In this paper “Kutchan plain” is described as “field surrounded by mountain range on it’s East, West and North sides. On it’s South stands the single peak Mt.Yotei.” The paper concluded by recommending Kitchen plain as the ideal location for farming, and to put cattle.

Where did the name “Kutchan” come from?

It originate to the Ainu language of “Kut-shan-i.” To put this to English, direct translation would be “pipe-flowout-place.” Believed that the way Shiribetsu River flows through tight bends and curves is behind this name. “Kutshani” changed to “Kudosani” and with time, turned to “Kutchan.” The current Kanji of 俱知安 was applied in 1893.

 

The first fleet of pioneers to Kutchan was those that originally came from Tokushima Prefecture who opened Niki-town. The leader of the fleet was a young man called Takekichi Niki. Yes, it was from his family name that the town of Niki was named after. He persuaded youngsters from his hometown to settle in too Kutchan and the first page of Kutchan’s history began.

In Autumn of 1890, the first fleet, with local Ainu leading the way, came into Kutchan. The team hiked up Iwaonupuri to grab a birds-eye view of the Kutchan area.

After inspecting the Kitchen area, the fleet pleaded to Hokkaido government to lease the land to them. After long discussion and negotiation, first 5 pioneers settled into Kutchan in May of 1892. Within that year, 47 housings were built in Kutchan and began cutting down trees that covered the area.

At that time the whole land was covered with trees with trunks so wide that it took more than two men to carry. The pioneers first cut these tree down and once they hit soil, started to grow potatoes, beans, corns and pumpkins. Soon after the pioneers started to grow other vegetables too.

Pioneers from other areas of Japan followed the first fleet form Tokushima and Kutchan started to look like a village. At the beginning, Kitchen wasn’t a village of it’s own and was considered an area within Abuta Village. It wasn’t until 1896 that Kutchan was acknowledge a village.

 

 

本文はニセコひらふスキー場発達史発行委員会(Committee for Publishing History of Ski Resorts Development at Hirafu)により、2011年に発行されたニセコパウターヒストリーの本文中からの転載原稿です。本文章の転用・転載は固く禁じます。
執筆ライター:谷口雅春
取材構成コーディネート:平山淳也(有限会社エーピーアイ)

The texts are reprinted from the text of Niseko Powder History published in 2011 by Committee for Publishing History of Ski Resorts Development at Hirafu.
Reproducting all or part of this content is forbidden.
Writer: Masaharu Taniguchi
Co-ordinate: Junya Hirayama (API ltd.)

Niseko Powder History【第9回】〜第2章 ニセコスキー史〜

| カテゴリ: Niseko Powder History

第2

ニセコスキー史

NPH-8

硫黄鉱山からはじまるひらふの歴史

さらにしばらく時間をさかのぼり、この地の歩みをたどってみましょう。

江戸時代のひらふは、ニシン漁で古くから栄えた日本海側の寿都や岩内などとちがって、まちとしての和人の営みはありません。これはひらふに限らず、北海道の多くの内陸地に当てはまる歴史です。ニシンやサケの豊富な漁業資源を持ち、交易でも古くからさまざまな人の営みがあった日本海側とちがい、主に東北や越後、北陸などからの移民による内陸開拓が本格化するのは、ようやく明治20年代のことでした。

一帯の内陸でよく知られていたのは、ニセコアンヌプリの北西隣、硫黄が採れたイワオヌプリ(1116メートル)でした。この山はニセコ山系火山群の中で最も若い山と考えられ、数千年前まで活発な噴火活動があり、火口では近年にいたるまで噴気が確認されていました。

ニセコアンヌプリも1万年以内に大噴火歴のある若い山で、かつては羊蹄山のようなコニーデ型(成層火山)の時代があったと考えられています。

イワオヌプリでの硫黄の採掘は、遅くとも1804(文化元)年ことにさかのぼりますが、本格的に掘られたのは、1860(万延元)年代。ニシン漁を中心に当時の岩内で大きな商いをしていた場所請負人佐藤仁左衛門(仙北屋)が、約20キロの山道を整備して、採掘した硫黄を馬で岩内まで運び、そこから船で出荷しました。従事したのはニシン漁のために集めた雇い人たちで、馬の使用も、これが西蝦夷地(蝦夷地の主に日本海側)で最初期のもの。彼らが困難の末に開いた道は、現在の道々66号、ニセコパノラマラインの原型となったのです。

もともと岩内という地名は、アイヌ語のイワウ・ナイ(硫黄の川)に由来します。専従していたアイヌの人々は、採掘は行っていないものの、岩内から入ったイワオヌプリに硫黄があったことを、よく知っていました。

時代が明治に下ると、開拓使のお雇い外国人の鉱山技師、ベンジャミン・ライマンのお墨付きもあり、本格的な採掘がスタート。北海道庁が発足した年、1886(明治19)年には三井物産会社が、従来行われていた鍋による焼取り方ではなく、日本で初めての蒸気精錬によって生産を拡大しました。

ここで注目しておきたいのは、鉱山会社が使った索道(運搬器をつけたケーブル)です。

1892年(明治25)年、鉱山の運営会社は三井鉱山合名会社と名称を替えて、精錬所を北麓の元山に移します。1908(明治41)年には、そこから宿内(そこない、現・共和町字前田)までの索道が架けられました。約14.2キロの大規模なもので、提げられた篭によって岩内港へ硫黄を搬出し、岩内から必要物資を搬入します。岩内と宿内のあいだの輸送には、従来通り馬が使われました。漁業と物流、そして茅沼炭坑とイワオヌプリの硫黄による鉱業のまちであった岩内の人口は、明治40年代ですでに2万人を数えていました。

硫黄の輸送には1919(大正8)年から、さらに効率の良い鉄道輸送が導入されます。そのために鉱山から鉄道のある倶知安まで、約12キロの索道が架けられるのです。この時代が鉱山の最盛期で、索道は1時間に下り10トン、上り6トンの輸送力がありました。倶知安市街の荷着場は現在の南4条西4丁目あたりで、硫黄は倶知安駅から運び出されました。倶知安市街と直結された元山には2階建ての事務所をはじめ、鍛冶工場、鋳物工場、倉庫が増築され、社宅、食堂、診療所、そして小学校(岩雄登尋常小学校)までが作られました。

硫黄鉱山は大正中期に生産部門が北海道硫黄㈱として独立しましたが、(販売は三井物産)、生産高はしだいに減少の一途をたどり、1937(昭和12)年の春に閉山となりました(2009年、イワオヌプリ硫黄鉱山は、経済産業省の「近代化産業遺跡群」に選ばれました)。

硫黄鉱山で活躍した索道は、やがて設置されるスキーリフトの源流とも位置づけることができるのではないでしょうか。

It All Began From Sulfur Mines

 

Let’s wind the clock a bit more back in history.

Just like many inland towns in Hokkaido, not much action took place in Hirafu up until late 1890s. Towns like Iwanai or Suttsu were the center of development as these towns, facing the Sea of Japan had rich trade items and had better access from other parts of Japan.

The most well known location in the Hirafu area in those times were Mt.Iwaonupuri, the North Western neighbor of Mt. Niseko Annupuri. Mt.Iwaonupuri, is considered the youngest of Niseko’s volcanic mountains. Believed to have had active volcanic activities just till recently (a couple of thousand years ago).

Sulfur mining in the mountain dates back to around 1804 and picked-up enormously in the 1860s. Successful fisherman and market owner in Iwanai decided to open up a 20km route from Iwanai to Iwaonupuri to carry out sulfur from the mountain to port. This 20km route became the base of the current Niseko Panorama Line.

More and more people began mining in the area, and mining technology evolved. What’s interesting about these sulfur mines is that, they used lifts (cables with buckets) to transport dug-up minerals. In 1908, a lift system of 14.2km in length was installed! In the early 1900s, the town of Iwanai was booming with from trading of fish and sulfur, the town had over 20,000 in population.

With improvement in technology, trains became the most efficient means of transporting sulfur minerals. Nearest train station to the sulfur mines in Mt.Iwaonupuri was and is still Kutchan station. So, a 12km long lift system was installed from the mine to Kutchan town. This lift system was able to carry 10 tonnes every hour.

This was the peak era of mining in Mt.Iwaonupuri. The lift system progressed the mining business incredibly and the small mining fort in the mountain became a small town, with factories, warehouses, restaurants, housings and even a school!

All good times must come to an end. Little by little, the sulfur produce decreased and in Spring of 1937, sounds of drilling was heard no more.
Would it be too much to say that these sulfur mine lift systems were actually the very root of ski lifts we have now?

 

本文はニセコひらふスキー場発達史発行委員会(Committee for Publishing History of Ski Resorts Development at Hirafu)により、2011年に発行されたニセコパウターヒストリーの本文中からの転載原稿です。本文章の転用・転載は固く禁じます。
執筆ライター:谷口雅春
取材構成コーディネート:平山淳也(有限会社エーピーアイ)

The texts are reprinted from the text of Niseko Powder History published in 2011 by Committee for Publishing History of Ski Resorts Development at Hirafu.
Reproducting all or part of this content is forbidden.
Writer: Masaharu Taniguchi
Co-ordinate: Junya Hirayama (API ltd.)

2018年2月
« 1月   3月 »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728  

月別アーカイブ