美しい時代へ-東急グループ Grand HIRAFU

スタッフブログStaff Diary

スタッフブログ

Niseko Powder History【第9回】〜第2章 ニセコスキー史〜

| カテゴリ: Niseko Powder History

第2

ニセコスキー史

NPH-8

硫黄鉱山からはじまるひらふの歴史

さらにしばらく時間をさかのぼり、この地の歩みをたどってみましょう。

江戸時代のひらふは、ニシン漁で古くから栄えた日本海側の寿都や岩内などとちがって、まちとしての和人の営みはありません。これはひらふに限らず、北海道の多くの内陸地に当てはまる歴史です。ニシンやサケの豊富な漁業資源を持ち、交易でも古くからさまざまな人の営みがあった日本海側とちがい、主に東北や越後、北陸などからの移民による内陸開拓が本格化するのは、ようやく明治20年代のことでした。

一帯の内陸でよく知られていたのは、ニセコアンヌプリの北西隣、硫黄が採れたイワオヌプリ(1116メートル)でした。この山はニセコ山系火山群の中で最も若い山と考えられ、数千年前まで活発な噴火活動があり、火口では近年にいたるまで噴気が確認されていました。

ニセコアンヌプリも1万年以内に大噴火歴のある若い山で、かつては羊蹄山のようなコニーデ型(成層火山)の時代があったと考えられています。

イワオヌプリでの硫黄の採掘は、遅くとも1804(文化元)年ことにさかのぼりますが、本格的に掘られたのは、1860(万延元)年代。ニシン漁を中心に当時の岩内で大きな商いをしていた場所請負人佐藤仁左衛門(仙北屋)が、約20キロの山道を整備して、採掘した硫黄を馬で岩内まで運び、そこから船で出荷しました。従事したのはニシン漁のために集めた雇い人たちで、馬の使用も、これが西蝦夷地(蝦夷地の主に日本海側)で最初期のもの。彼らが困難の末に開いた道は、現在の道々66号、ニセコパノラマラインの原型となったのです。

もともと岩内という地名は、アイヌ語のイワウ・ナイ(硫黄の川)に由来します。専従していたアイヌの人々は、採掘は行っていないものの、岩内から入ったイワオヌプリに硫黄があったことを、よく知っていました。

時代が明治に下ると、開拓使のお雇い外国人の鉱山技師、ベンジャミン・ライマンのお墨付きもあり、本格的な採掘がスタート。北海道庁が発足した年、1886(明治19)年には三井物産会社が、従来行われていた鍋による焼取り方ではなく、日本で初めての蒸気精錬によって生産を拡大しました。

ここで注目しておきたいのは、鉱山会社が使った索道(運搬器をつけたケーブル)です。

1892年(明治25)年、鉱山の運営会社は三井鉱山合名会社と名称を替えて、精錬所を北麓の元山に移します。1908(明治41)年には、そこから宿内(そこない、現・共和町字前田)までの索道が架けられました。約14.2キロの大規模なもので、提げられた篭によって岩内港へ硫黄を搬出し、岩内から必要物資を搬入します。岩内と宿内のあいだの輸送には、従来通り馬が使われました。漁業と物流、そして茅沼炭坑とイワオヌプリの硫黄による鉱業のまちであった岩内の人口は、明治40年代ですでに2万人を数えていました。

硫黄の輸送には1919(大正8)年から、さらに効率の良い鉄道輸送が導入されます。そのために鉱山から鉄道のある倶知安まで、約12キロの索道が架けられるのです。この時代が鉱山の最盛期で、索道は1時間に下り10トン、上り6トンの輸送力がありました。倶知安市街の荷着場は現在の南4条西4丁目あたりで、硫黄は倶知安駅から運び出されました。倶知安市街と直結された元山には2階建ての事務所をはじめ、鍛冶工場、鋳物工場、倉庫が増築され、社宅、食堂、診療所、そして小学校(岩雄登尋常小学校)までが作られました。

硫黄鉱山は大正中期に生産部門が北海道硫黄㈱として独立しましたが、(販売は三井物産)、生産高はしだいに減少の一途をたどり、1937(昭和12)年の春に閉山となりました(2009年、イワオヌプリ硫黄鉱山は、経済産業省の「近代化産業遺跡群」に選ばれました)。

硫黄鉱山で活躍した索道は、やがて設置されるスキーリフトの源流とも位置づけることができるのではないでしょうか。

It All Began From Sulfur Mines

 

Let’s wind the clock a bit more back in history.

Just like many inland towns in Hokkaido, not much action took place in Hirafu up until late 1890s. Towns like Iwanai or Suttsu were the center of development as these towns, facing the Sea of Japan had rich trade items and had better access from other parts of Japan.

The most well known location in the Hirafu area in those times were Mt.Iwaonupuri, the North Western neighbor of Mt. Niseko Annupuri. Mt.Iwaonupuri, is considered the youngest of Niseko’s volcanic mountains. Believed to have had active volcanic activities just till recently (a couple of thousand years ago).

Sulfur mining in the mountain dates back to around 1804 and picked-up enormously in the 1860s. Successful fisherman and market owner in Iwanai decided to open up a 20km route from Iwanai to Iwaonupuri to carry out sulfur from the mountain to port. This 20km route became the base of the current Niseko Panorama Line.

More and more people began mining in the area, and mining technology evolved. What’s interesting about these sulfur mines is that, they used lifts (cables with buckets) to transport dug-up minerals. In 1908, a lift system of 14.2km in length was installed! In the early 1900s, the town of Iwanai was booming with from trading of fish and sulfur, the town had over 20,000 in population.

With improvement in technology, trains became the most efficient means of transporting sulfur minerals. Nearest train station to the sulfur mines in Mt.Iwaonupuri was and is still Kutchan station. So, a 12km long lift system was installed from the mine to Kutchan town. This lift system was able to carry 10 tonnes every hour.

This was the peak era of mining in Mt.Iwaonupuri. The lift system progressed the mining business incredibly and the small mining fort in the mountain became a small town, with factories, warehouses, restaurants, housings and even a school!

All good times must come to an end. Little by little, the sulfur produce decreased and in Spring of 1937, sounds of drilling was heard no more.
Would it be too much to say that these sulfur mine lift systems were actually the very root of ski lifts we have now?

 

本文はニセコひらふスキー場発達史発行委員会(Committee for Publishing History of Ski Resorts Development at Hirafu)により、2011年に発行されたニセコパウターヒストリーの本文中からの転載原稿です。本文章の転用・転載は固く禁じます。
執筆ライター:谷口雅春
取材構成コーディネート:平山淳也(有限会社エーピーアイ)

The texts are reprinted from the text of Niseko Powder History published in 2011 by Committee for Publishing History of Ski Resorts Development at Hirafu.
Reproducting all or part of this content is forbidden.
Writer: Masaharu Taniguchi
Co-ordinate: Junya Hirayama (API ltd.)

2018年2月
« 1月    
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728  

月別アーカイブ

Copyright NISEKO Mt. RESORT Grand HIRAFU.All Rights Reserved.